Company: La Clinica de la Raza
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Who we are: La Clnica de La Raza is a community-based health
center committed to providing culturally appropriate, high-quality,
and accessible health care to the diverse communities of the San
Francisco Bay Area. We have spent over 40 years advocating for and
creating a health-home for the many that have been denied access to
care. As health care activists, we are dedicated to ensuring that
individuals who do not have healthcare coverage receive the same
quality healthcare as those who do. From our genesis as a community
health center in 1971, we understood that we cannot heal our
communities without also addressing the economic and social factors
that affect health. Many times, this requires that we go outside
and provide services in other settings that link individuals to our
health center for preventive and primary care. Over 90,000
individuals come to La Clnica because it is a welcoming place that
addresses the whole person, coordinating and connecting them to a
broad network of services to improve and maintain their health and
well-being. While we are still known for our activism and spirit of
social justice, we are also proud to have grown into a
sophisticated provider of primary health care services with 35
sites across Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano counties.
Be part of an excellent care team: We are looking for Optometry
Assistants who are inspired to deliver a great experience to our
patients and who want to play an important role in patient-centered
care by performing at the top of their scope of practice. At La
Clnica, you will be challenged to be exceptionally accurate,
observant and an efficient task-master while at the same time
providing a human touch and an excellent overall patient
experience. Many people excel at one of these areas, but it takes
someone with a special combination of skills and character to do
both. To be successful, you need to enjoy interacting with all
kinds of different people, to feel energized by a fast paced clinic
environment, and remain cool under pressure even when serving a
person who is upset, disrespectful or impatient. You should have a
successful history of being responsible, reliable and capable of
solving problems while being friendly and helpful in looking for
ways to support other care team members. We offer great benefits
such as health insurance, educational leave, paid time off, and
more. Our clinics are located in the thriving Bay Area known for
its cultural diversity, beautiful weather, highly sought after
schools and year-round recreational activities.
Major Areas of Responsibility include but are not limited
- Places patient in examining room, takes detailed medical
history, and records patient chief complaint.
- Checks visual acuity; performs tonometry and other pretesting
as directed by the doctor.
- Responsible for instilling diagnostic topical pharmaceuticals
(eye drops) when directed by doctor.
- May handle infectious wastes; prepares instruments for
- Selects, dispenses and verifies prescriptions of visual
appliances (i.e. frames, contact lenses).
- Responsible for minor frame repairs and adjustments.
- Operates visual fields screening devise and ocular photography
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Commitment to Quality
- Translates between patient and provider, treatment
instructions, questions patients may have regarding physicians
orders, use of medications, and contact lenses.
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellent patient experience and
quality outcomes in equal measure.
- Communicate and work effectively with providers and other
members of the care team to best serve patients.
- Contribute to a welcoming clinical space and healthy work
environment through proactive relationship building, direct
communication and sound judgment.
- Engaged participation in huddles, staff meetings, team building
activities and assigned development opportunities.
- Continue your professional development through participation in
- Adherence to all ethical and professional standards, including
La Clnicas policies and procedures.
General Office Duties
- Schedules follow-up appointments and verifies appointment times
- Screen and monitor EHR requests, completing or routing as
- Greet and log in patients arriving at office or clinic in the
appropriate electronic system.
- Contact medical facilities or departments to schedule patients
for tests or appointments.
- Inventory stock, order, and verify receipt of medical, lab, or
office supplies or equipment.
- Keep equipment working; troubleshoot breakdowns; stock
supplies; call for repairs.
- Enter key medical record information or perform other required
record keeping duties required.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Basic optometry assisting practices and skills and the various
types of equipment used.
- Modern medical terminology, chronic health conditions, and
health education related to the service area.
- Working with modern computer applications and electronic health
- Methods of safely lifting and moving patients, equipment and
- Cleaning and sterilization techniques for medical equipment,
examining rooms and patients areas.
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to accept changes
- Able to work professionally and collaboratively in team-based
- Comfort with direct patient contact and solid interpersonal
skills for patient education and coaching.
- Ability to work and communicate with people from various
ethnic, socio-economic backgrounds
- Use clear and efficient written and verbal communication skills
using the English language.
- Complete and maintain accurate and concise patient
- Bilingual proficiency in Spanish or (Specify Language)
Other Certifications and Experience
- Requires High School diploma or equivalent, assistant
training/experience preferred, courses in ocular anatomy; and
diseases of the eye desirable.
- Certificate of completion of two years assistant training
- Experience in optometry office preferred.
Keywords: La Clinica de la Raza, Vallejo , Optometry/Ophthalmology Assistant, Other , Vallejo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!